Erath economy could lose $1M
Representatives from the U.S. Census have been speaking around Erath County to ensure that the county doesn’t lose its opportunity to add more than $1 million to the local economy.
The 2020 Census has been seeking employees to help gather information for the 2020 census with pay for Erath county set at $15 per hour and reimbursed mileage for travel.
Representatives stress that the position only comes along every 10 years offering flexible hours based on the worker’s schedule meaning census takers can choose to work four hours per week or 40.
The position comes with paid training with safety tips and privacy guidelines that any worker would need to know.
The Census will start collecting information on Feb. 1. At that point, workers will have to be brought in from other areas to cover any unfilled positions.
To be eligible for a 2020 Census job, the worker must:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have a valid Social Security number.
- Be a U.S. citizen.*
- Have a valid email address.
- Complete an application and answer assessment questions. (Some application questions are available in Spanish. However, an English proficiency test may also be required.)
- Be able to speak, read, and write in English, if applying in the 50 states or Washington, D.C. (Bilingual applicants are needed and are encouraged to apply.)
- Be registered with the Selective Service System or have a qualifying exemption, if you are a male born after December 31, 1959.
- Undergo fingerprinting and pass a criminal background check and a review of criminal records performed by the Census Bureau.
- Commit to completing training.
- Be available to work flexible hours, which can include days, evenings, and weekends.
Most jobs require employees to:
- Have a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle, unless public transportation is readily available.
- Have access to a computer with internet and an email account (to complete training).
- If the applicant is currently employed, theirjob must be compatible with Census Bureau employment and not create conflicts of interest. These will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Also, you must not engage in any partisan political activity while on duty.
For more information or to apply, visit 2020censu.gov/jobs or call 1-855-JOB-2020.